When it comes to roofing materials, metal is often an overlooked option. However, it offers a variety of benefits that make it a great choice for any home or building. In a time when supply is scarce for shingles and tiles, looking to metal might not only get you a new roof faster, you may never need to put another roof on your home!
Metal? You Mean a Tin Roof?
Let gets something straight, there are 2 distinct types of metal roofing systems for Florida. Neither is made of tin. There is a standing seam metal roof and a metal tile roof.
A standing seam metal roof is built with long panels of metal installed vertically up the roof. Each panel has two or more raised seams that interlock, creating a water-tight barrier. The seams are sealed with silicone and secured with fasteners that cannot be seen from the ground.
A metal tile roof is made of thin metal sheets installed horizontally across the roof. This is similar to asphalt shingles. Each tile is secured with a fastener, and the seams between each tile are sealed with silicone. Metal tile roofs look very similar to shingle or tile roofing systems.
Aside from far more immediate availability, both metal roofing options have many benefits.
- Durable: A metal roof can last for decades, with Unified Stone Coated Steel Tiles having a 50-year warranty!
- Energy Efficient: Because they reflect the sun's rays far more efficiently than asphalt, clay, or even slate systems, they keep your home cooler and your electricity bill down.
- Environmentally Friendly: In 50 years, when your Unified Stone Coated Steel Tiles need to be replaced, your grandchildren can recycle them. Also, since you haven’t had to replace the roof since 2023, there’s been no waste heading to landfills.
- Easy to Maintain: They do not need to be painted or sealed. They are resistant to mildew and algae growth.
- Cost: Upfront, a metal roof will be more costly. But between replacement costs, energy efficiency, maintenance, potential insurance discounts, and resale value, chances are very good you’ll see savings over other options.
Metal Roofs for Florida Homes
Driving through the suburbs, you may not see the metal tile roofing systems because they’re relatively indistinguishable from other materials, but more and more, you’ll see the standing seam variety. Whether it’s the short-term benefit of readily available materials, or the long-term benefits like durability, energy efficiency, and more, it’s time to consider a metal roof in Florida. Between the rains and Summer (and Spring, and Fall) sun, the energy savings, resilience, and safety during storms make it a great option for your Florida home.